KIDAPAWAN City‘s international master (IM) Edgar Reggie Olay and Davao City‘s IM Oliver Dimakiling trailed after second round of the Philippine Sports Commission (PSC) Cup International Chess Championships at the Ninoy Aquino Stadium, Rizal Memorial Sports Complex in Manila as of yesterday presstime.
The 18th-seeded Olay (ELO 2353) drew with No. 41 Ryan Dungca after beating No. 54 Jerad Docena. Olay, a registered nurse by profession, however, only shared the 11th to 24th place with 1.5 points.
The 10th-ranked Dimakiling, for his part, shared the 25th to 50th place with one point following his second round upset loss to No. 29 Nelson Villanueva. The Dabawenyo Dimakiling defeated No. 43 HJ Azahari Md Aliuddin of Brunei Darussalam in the opening round.
Filipino Fide masters (FMs) Fide Masters David Elorta (ELO 2343) and Randy Segarra (ELO 2311) pulled giant upsets to pace the US$30,000 SMART-sponsored nine Round-Swiss tournament, hosted by PSC and organized by the National Chess Federation of the Philippines (NCFP).
- Barbosa heads PSC int’l chess cast (justapawninthisworld.wordpress.com)
- PSC Cup Int’l Chess opens Jan 13 at the Ninoy A. Stadium (newsinfo.inquirer.net)
- GM PARAGUA tied at 8TH IN UAE (newsinfo.inquirer.net)
- World Chess Champion, Orrin C. Hudson, Travels To Philippines To Teach Kids “How To Make The Right Moves” in Chess… and in Life (prweb.com)
- Sevillano to play simul games in SHS-AdC (newsinfo.inquirer.net)
- UAAP: NU wins in baseball opener, Adamson still unbeaten in softball (sports.inquirer.net)